TELUS - Emergency Power Expansion
The project involved the engineering for the installation of new additional generator system to provide backup emergency power for the data operation centre.
The existing system consists of one 1500kW diesel generators and a 20,000L underground storage tank.
The new emergency generator is diesel fired 1,500kW and was installed on the ground behind the building with the provision for a third 1,500kW generator to be installed in the future. Since there was no space for additional underground storage tanks, the tanks were removed and two new 30,000L above ground tanks were installed. All new stainless steel piping was installed to both new generators. A Manifold pipe system was implemented for both the new and existing generators instead of the day tank inside enclosure.
Engineering Services for this project included:
• Coordination with client and architect.
• Design of oil supply system. Providing all new piping from above ground tanks to new and existing generators, pumping system, manifold pipe and leak monitoring.
• Coordination with ABSA
• HVAC design for the new electrical room.
• Expansion of pre-action sprinkler system to accommodate new electrical room.
• Expansion of fuel monitoring and inventory system
Project services included feasibility planning, conceptual design, detailed engineering & design, construction review and contract administration.